Category Archives: Origami

Dimpled Model with Curls and Colour Change

This model was designed my Meenakshi Mukerji and appears in her book Exquisite Modular Origami.

I had previously made this model without the colour change, but having been on a jaunt to Hobbycraft with Caroline I had a lovely pack of coloured/white paper to try out. With a rainbow to choose from, I went for black. There was method to the madness though, as I thought the bold stripes in the model would look very striking in black and white.

Adding the colour change element only took two extra folds, and I completed the 30 unit model over several days, this time assembling as I went along.

image

The inverted sections mean that the modules hold together really well…which in turn makes fiddling the last few in tricky, but I got there without glue.

image

The finished model is about 10ins in diameter when folded with 5ins square paper.

image

Advertisements

Star Sonobe by Maria Sinayskaya

This model was fairly quick and easy to complete, for a 30-unit construction. I completed this in about 4 hours, just watching TV and relaxing. I found the instructions and a tutorial on Go Origami, a new site for me. There are lots of other appealing ideas on there too so I’m sure there’ll be another visit!

I folded the 30 units on coloured/white paper in three different colours. The first few units suffered from a strange lack of symmetry at the stage above, but leaving a 1mm or so gap at the centre of the square when performing the first two folds seemed to solve it. Perhaps it had something to do with the thickness of my paper.

image

I found that a tiny triangle created by the last few folds stuck out of the model and created a less pleasing finish. I decided to reverse the triangles and tuck them in out of the way to get a neater end product.

image

As always, making the units took most of the time. The units are based on the sonobe unit which I have used many times before for other models. The sonobe units have similar structures and are very quick and simple to fold. The difference for this module is in the coloured stripes that make up each edge of the unit, creating a woven effect around the stars on the assembled model.

This might also be the model with the most pleasing inside I’ve ever seen!
image

This one was assembled without glue, and holds together neatly without it.
image

I think it would be very nice with dual-coloured paper. The finished model is about three inches in diameter and was made with squares of three inches.

Flower Star

I have spent the last couple of days working on this model by Ekaterina Lukasheva. I had to cut my paper to make the units, as they are folded from 2×1 rectangles and not squares.

The modules were simple enough to fold, though did have a slightly awkward fold which I had to use a ruler to line up. It probably took around four hours to fold them all to a good standard.

image

Once they were folded I began to join them as you can see in the picture above. I was using a colour pattern (not my own work) to ensure I could make the model using three colours and with no two like colours touching. For a 3D model, it stayed quite flat for a long time.

image

The modules are grouped together in 3s (for the points) and 5s (for the flowers. The points in this model are long and narrow, and the units locked easily into place until a third one was added to a point! The design seems like it would certainly hold, but every time I tried to make a point the other side would slip free again. This was probably due to the size of paper I had decided to use, as well as its thickness.

Using tiny amounts of PVA I got more units together until it finally became 3D about halfway through.

image

Before long it was time to fit the final piece. I had anticipated this to be the most difficult part, but it worked just fine after a bit of coaxing.

image

The completed model is about 4 and a half inches in diameter, and was made with rectangles of 2×1 inches. I am sure the process would have been easier, quicker and possible glue-free had I chosen to make it larger. Maybe I should try a large size one first in future…